Home

Area
Villages & towns
Characteristics
History
Film
 
 
   
  History
   Mituo used to be called “Milo Port”, which probably derived from “viro” (bamboos) in the Makatao language. Makatao is a Pingpu tribe. The port sat in the lower reaches of Erchng and Akungtien Streams and confronted a lagoon.
 People reclaimed the place and formed villages in early stages. Remains of the Niaosung culture was discovered in Mount Tahti. That culture started two thousand years ago and existed for six centuries.
 When Dutch people ruled Taiwan in the 17th century, they surveyed and drew maps of the Island Formosa and the Pescadores. According to those maps, mainlanders and Pingpu aborigines dwelled in “Mituo Port” and the suburbia shoals. At that time, the “Mituo Port” included today’s Yong-an, Ziguan and a part of Gongshan.
   These were recorded by ”Taiwan Province Annals” by Chiang, Yu-ying, published in 1685. That is the earliest written historical record about Mituo.
 
 Then, the coastal environment altered, the watercourse silted up and salt pans became idle. Mituo developed aquaculture and formed a new social structure.
 Peep behind the old toponyms and villages that disappeared. They tell colorful stories. The evolvement of natural environment and social structure has woven up a diversified tradition and culture.
 
Chai, Ching-ho, Rural master, Mituo Township Government
Tel: 07-6191216
URL: www.mituo.gov.tw
‧Best viewed in 1024 x 768 screen resolution‧ Copyright ©2004 走讀臺灣 All Rights Reserved
網站設計:愛達普生影像製作行銷傳播股份有限公司